The only guide you need: Islands

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Mattb2291, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

The Island Guide - Updated (28/08/17)

Another post to cover some of the strategy behind this game. My intention is to make this the definitive guide to islands; Island planning, island uses, efficiency and other tips and tricks. In total, it’s a lengthy article, but hopefully there are sections people found useful.

Where possible, I will update this thread if I find things have been updated. It may take time, and therefore I cannot guarantee the information is accurate when you come to use it. I hope it is still useful nevertheless. In addition there may be further tiers or upgrades than I have listed - if I ever get the information to populate them (by myself or others), I will aim to update this thread accordingly.

The Glorious Index of Indexing
    Starting Out
    Structures
    Resource Structures
    Defence Structures 1
    Defence Structures 2
    Island Guardian
    Base, Farming, Tips and Tricks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Starting Out

Island Basics
    Islands are generated in chunks (16x16 areas of land). Initially, the townhall is the only chunk available, and blocks cannot be placed or destroyed in the townhall chunk. Each island chunk is generated with the floor height at 61 blocks high. At any time, typing the command /home will return the player to the town hall.

To expand islands, the island guardian interface can be used, or the command
    /expand can be typed into the chat box. Then, the player should move into the area they wish to expand, and a new chunk will be generated. Each island is surrounded by six “beach” sand blocks and cannot be destroyed or built upon.

Island expansion chunks are generated with one top layer of grass, fifty middle layers of sand and nine lower layers of stone / diorite / andesite. The final layer at the bottom is made of bedrock.

Guardian Interface
    The Island guardian offers several options to the player:

Upgrade Town Hall
    Initially the Town Hall is level 1. This level does not allow raiding, and therefore the player cannot raid others or be raided themselves.

Expand Island
    This allows the player to expand their island by 1 chunk.

Train Guardian
    This allows the guardian to be trained in a class (Barbarian / Wizard / Archer) and levelled up. In addition, the name of the guardian can be changed. [RENAMING NOT YET IMPLEMENTED]

Purchase Structures
    This lets the player purchase structures to gather resources (gold / elixir) or defences to protect the island from raids.

Collection Structures
    Only available to premium subscribers, allows the gold and normal elixir resource-generating structures to be collected in a single click.

Repair Structure
    This repairs the Town Hall in the event it becomes corrupted.

Practice Raid
    Allows the player to practice raiding their own island to test their defences.

Island Expansion
    To gain resources or add defences, islands should be expanded.

Per expansion after the second expansion, the increase in cost is 40% of the previous expansion (x 1.4 multiplier), floored to the nearest integer. This is true up to the 15th expansion, after which all expansions are 125,000 gems.

This equates to the cost for expansions as:

[​IMG]

Raids require the attacker to kill the island guardian. The Town Hall should therefore be placed furthest from the raider to maximise the time it takes to complete the raid. It is therefore most efficient to have the town hall at the centre of the island.

3. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Structures

Each island can be expanded as large as the player can afford. There is no known limit to the size of islands. Each island expansion (chunk) can hold one structure. Each structure can be upgraded to the level of the town hall + 1 (eg, if the Townhall has not been upgraded (Level 1), the maximum structure level is Level 2).

A maximum of four structures of each type may be purchased per island. Each island can be expanded to a maximum size of 11x11 chunks

Town Hall
    As the Town Hall is expanded, it allows the further upgrade of other structures on the island. In addition, since raiding returns 10% of the raided island owner’s gems, raiding at higher Town Hall levels is likely to yield a greater profit.

Upgrading the Town Halls costs gems, gold and elixir, as detailed below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  4. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Resource Structures

Gold mines, Elixir pumps and Dark Elixir pumps can be bought and placed to produce resources for the player. Each gold mine and elixir pump produces resource at a rate per minute and are also able to store a capacity of resource for collection. Each Dark Elixir pump produces Dark Elixir every day.

Gold Mine
    Gold mines cover a 9x9 area, burying three blocks into the floor and extending three blocks above.

Purchase costs:

[​IMG]

Elixir Pump
    Elixir pumps cover a 5x5 area, do not bury into the floor and extend six blocks above the floor.

Purchase costs:

[​IMG]

Upgrading each resource structure increases the total capacity of the structure, and also increases the generation rate of resource. The costs associated with each upgrade and benefits are documented below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Elixir Pump
    Elixir pumps cover a 7x6 area, do not bury into the floor and extend seven blocks above the floor.

Purchase costs:

[​IMG]

Upgrade costs:
    [​IMG]

5. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Defensive Structures 1

There are 10 defensive structures to choose from, each assigned different damage, range and speed characteristics:
    [​IMG]

Archer Tower
    Archer towers can be purchased at Town Hall level 1 or above, but serve no purpose at Town Hall level 1. They cover a 5x5 area, do not bury into the floor and extend six blocks above the floor. An archer is positioned at the top, and is accessible by a ladder on the north wall. To beat the archer tower, the player must kill the archer.

[​IMG]

Mortar
    Mortar structures can be purchased at Town Hall level 2 or above. They cover a 3x5 area (narrow east-west), do not bury into the floor and extend five blocks above the floor. They fire explosive missiles high into the air, and can be anticipated by a sound prior to landing. To beat the mortar, the player must mine the redstone block within.

[​IMG]

6. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Defensive Structures 2

Wizard tower

Wizard towers can be purchased at Town Hall level 4 or above. They cover a 7x7 area, do not bury into the floor and extend eight blocks above the floor. A wizard is positioned at the top, and is accessible by a ladder on the north side of the southern wall. Wizards attack by lightning bolts. To beat the wizard, the player must kill the wizard.

[​IMG]

Bomb tower
    Bomb towers can be purchased at Town Hall level 5 or above. They cover a 7x7 area, do not bury into the floor and extend eight blocks above the floor. A bomber is positioned at the top, and is not directly accessible by the player. Bombers attack by launching TNT to cause an explosion. To beat the bomb tower, the player must kill the bomber.

[​IMG]

Tesla
    Teslas can be purchased at Town Hall level 6 or above. Teslas cover a 3x3 area, do not bury into the floor and extend eight blocks above the floor. They attack by firing a constant laser at the player which can pass through walls. To beat the Tesla, the player must destroy the redstone block.
    Still to be written

Blizzard Tower
    Blizzard Towers can be purchased at Town Hall level 11 or above.
    Still to be written

Command Tower
    Still to be written

Barbarian Hut
    Still to be written

Inferno Tower
    Unlocked through the Dragon Rank. Inferno towers cover a 5x5 area, do not bury into the floor and extend six [unconfirmed] blocks above the floor. They attack by firing flaming arrows at the player. To beat the inferno tower, the player must destroy the redstone block.
    Still to be written

Eagle Artillery
    Unlocked through the Barbarian King Rank.
    Still to be written

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Crunchlax likes this.
  7. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Island Guardian

The Island Guardian is the main defence of the island - if they should fall in battle, the raid will be counted as a success. The island should therefore aim to do one of two things; slow down the raider such that they cannot complete the raid within the allotted time, or kill the raider before they manage to kill the island guardian

Classes
    The Island Guardian can be assigned one of three classes (default is no class and this is the worst option). The Island Guardian can either be assigned to become a Barbarian (melee), Wizard (mage) or Archer (range). Each class has three special features which should be considered before assigning a class:

Barbarian: Beserk, Splash damage and Blink
    The Barbarian can enter beserk mode, attacking with more ferocity. They also have a splash damage attack in a cone in front of them, dealing moderate damage. Finally, they have a blink ability to travel through walls / across the floor to get within range of the raider.

Wizard: Suck in, Knockback and Dragonbreath
    The Wizard has a suck in ability to draw the raider in, which is emitted in front of the guardian. They have a knockback ability that fires a tracker spell at the raider to knock them back. Finally, there is a “Dragonbreath” ability which deals large amounts of damage in a moving cloud.

Archer: Fire, Triple shot and Knockback
    The Archer can ignite the raider with a fire arrow. There is a triple shot which comes out in a cone from them, dealing medium damage. Finally, they have a large knockback arrow. The archer is the only guardian type who will actively leave the Town Hall during a raid to defend the island.

Guardian Training
    To increase the effectiveness of the Island Guardian and to unlock the better abilities, the Guardian can be trained. The maximum level of the Island Guardian is the same level as your island, up to level 5 and it is trained using gems:
    [​IMG]

Level 5 is the maximum level for a guardian.

Crunchlax likes this.
  8. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Base, Farming, Tips and Tricks

Some people might leave the raiding system alone and opt of a quieter life, a farming life. The common farming options are sugarcane and mushrooms.

Mushrooms
    I’ve already written a detailed guide to mushroom farming here.

Sugarcane
    Sugarcane should be planted in optimal geometry to maximise the yield per chunk. Therefore, the following guide should be used when planting sugarcane to give the highest coverage per area. Option 4 gives the greatest yield per area - note: water blocks should be covered by lily pads, carpet, half slabs etc to make it easier to move / farm.

[​IMG]

If a mixture of defence and farming in the option, farms / storage / other can be stored below or above the island structures (the obvious exception is the below or above the Town Hall)

Tips and Tricks
    1. Since the ladder to access Archer Towers and Wizard Towers is located on the north side of the structure, this can be manipulated to make it difficult for the raider to access the top of the structure.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Crunchlax likes this.
  9. bensku1

bensku1 Active Member

whats res #1 2,3,4,5 and 6???

Crunchlax likes this.
  10. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

I used it to reserve the top posts since I knew my guide was going to be long (and is likely to be even longer once the new reset is done). Otherwise the guide would be all over the thread. Sadly we're limited to ~3,500 characters per post (even though it advertises 10,000 as the max) and this can therefore be eaten up very quickly with tables (lots of full stops!)

I didn't expect anyone to post so quickly.

Crunchlax likes this.
  11. bensku1

bensku1 Active Member

I look for posts to read cause i'm bored. this one was interesting, and of course i had to reply fast :]

Crunchlax likes this.
  12. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Glad you found it interesting. Since there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of info on these forums about the best ways of doing things, I figured I might as well keep writing guides to hopefully help other people out

Crunchlax likes this.
  13. Kiki

Kiki Sr. Moderator Staff Member Sr. Moderator

Wow Matt, you really put a lot of time and thought in this. Nicely done!! :)

14. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Thanks... I found it hard because there really is no information like this out there. If I'm struggling to work out an optimum way, chances are someone else is too. Most staff probably won't find it useful (I assume you have a test / builders world and can check all this easily), so for me it's just down to trial and error.

Plus, given the upcoming reset... I figured it a good time to waste 2m on something so thought I'd buy a load of structures and see if it helps others :)

15. Kiki

Yea I was about to say that I hope you have not gone through all this hard work for nothing, as we don't know for sure what changes are to come with the reset. :)

16. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Meh, if I have, so be it. At least it's a starting point and I can edit the post with the new figures. I only hope it covers everything people need so they get something out of it

17. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Plus Kiki, it pulls out any potentially missed things, like the archer tower upgrade to level 6 costing less in gems than the upgrade to level 5... how can this be deliberate?

18. Kiki

Don't get me wrong, I like what you have done because as I said you put a lot of thought into it. :)

19. Crunchlax

Crunchlax New Member

Thanks!!! Found The Whole Thing useful :)

20. IceDragon1974

IceDragon1974 Sr. Moderator Staff Member Sr. Moderator Moderator Recruitment Team

Mattb2291, your layout of the sugar farm is brilliant. I was experimenting this week on my island to find the biggest yield, but your 4th option has my best attempt licked by far. I will surely look into your layout in more detail when I start my new island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.