The only guide you need: Islands

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Mattb2291, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for the nice info! This is a nice guide! Helped me a lot. Keep up the good work!

2. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

Guide Updated with island info from the reset

3. I am thinking of trying to create a 2 layer sky farm for sugar cane above my island, as I only have a 3x3 plot island. The 75% effiency farm has water scattered around the edge of the chunk. Due to the nature of my island plots, if I fill up one chunk in the sky with sky farms, then there will be water on the edge that I can not guard off and they will just flow outward off the sky farm. This will either cause water to fall on top of my sand wall and then flow off into my island and make things difficult, or it will make my lava walls useless, as I am planning on placing lava on top of my sand walls. Have any ideas on what to do?

4. Mattb2291

Mattb2291 Member

So this is a pretty interesting question, and the best answer depends on what your EXACT requirements are. For example, as a 3x3 island, you may want one of three types of farm:
    1. No water is permitted to come down on ANY side of the farm
    2. Water is permitted to come down on 2 of the four sides of the farm
      The farm is on 1, 3, 6 or 8
      [​IMG]
    3. Water is permitted to come down on 3 of the four sides of the farm
      The farm is on 2, 4, 5 or 7
      [​IMG]

If you HAVE to use the 75% efficiency farm, removing the water on all edges produces a 53% efficiency farm.
    [​IMG]

Some water blocks can then be replaced to increase the efficiency to 55%.
    [​IMG]

In reality, it would be 1 less sugarcane per harvest if you just stuck with the easy planting option (again rounded to 55% efficiency).
    [​IMG]

Looking at it, it seems most efficient to use the 74.5% farm, which on it's own has a 53%.
    [​IMG]

Then adding extra water blocks in key places generates a 58% efficient farm

[​IMG]

For Farms 2 and 3, I only looked at modifying the 75% efficiency farm. There may be more optimal farms, but this should give you a head start.
    Allowing water on two of the edges increases the efficiency from 53%
    [​IMG]

Up to a farm efficiency of 60%

[​IMG]
    Allowing water on three of the edges increases the efficiency from 53%
    [​IMG]

Up to a farm efficiency of 62%

[​IMG]

No water allowed on any sides, most efficient at 58%.
    [​IMG]

Water allowed on 2 sides of the farm peak at efficiency of 60%
    [​IMG]

Water allowed on 3 sides of the farm peak at efficiency of 62%

[​IMG]

Happy building!

5. Ok. Since I am planning on putting lava on top of my sand walls to flow down and obstruct the sand wall on both sides, I think I'll go with the no water option, to avoid accidental obsidian/ cobblestone walls. I did some quick calculations, and if I have 2 layers of farm and use all 8 of my chunks, I can get about 37 stacks of sugar cane. So the design fits perfectly. Thanks for the help!

6. Well, I forgot to post this, but I finished the cane farm 2 days after you posted the specific cane designs. Again, thanks for the help!

7. This is amazing 0_0 you really helped a lot of us :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.